What you need to know about record suspensions (pardons)

Is a criminal record dragging you down? We can help you navigate the process of applying for a pardon (now called a record suspension). After we’ve assessed your eligibility, we’ll help you gather the required information and advocate on your behalf wherever possible throughout the application process. Considering what’s at stake, you’ll discover our fees are very reasonable. Contact us today to get started on the process for getting your record suspended.

Reasons to apply for a record suspension/pardon

There are many important reasons to apply for a record suspension/pardon. Maybe you’re finding that a criminal record is closing the door to good job opportunities or international travel. Or maybe you just feel like you need to wipe out the record of a past mistake in your life.

Some criminal records can be set aside

The good news is that a criminal record doesn’t have to be permanent. In some circumstances, you may be eligible for a record suspension. You may be eligible for a record suspension if you:

  • Were convicted of a criminal offence;
  • Have completed your sentence; and
  • Can show that you are a law-abiding citizen.

What is a record suspension?

A record suspension, which used to be called a pardon, takes your criminal record out of the national police database called the Canadian Police Information Centre. It doesn’t erase your record but instead sets it aside. When people search the database, neither your criminal record nor the record suspension will come up.

Applying for a record suspension if you are living in BC

You do not need a lawyer to apply for a record suspension. However, working with a lawyer may help you navigate the process, especially in BC. Recent cases in this province have changed the rules around record suspensions for people living in BC.

We can help you navigate the record suspension process. Contact us today to get started.

Information resources

You can read more about record suspensions on the Government of Canada’s website. Read more

The Government of Canada’s self-assessment tool may help you find out if you might be eligible for a record suspension or pardon. Search for “Record Suspension Self-Assessment Tool” on their website. Visit the Government of Canada website